Let’s just throw it out there. Instagram rocks…big time. Exploding since its inception in 2010, and it seems to be just warming up. With consumer obsession with photos and video, and bored by excessive text, you can share the love with few words. But let’s get serious for a minute…what makes Instagram such a great tool for marketers?
So, in Late Night with David Letterman fashion, here are the top ten reasons Instagram helps businesses become lean, mean, marketing machines:
- Photos say what complicated, lengthy advertisements cannot. Let’s face it; we are a visual world. Everybody shares their lives through photos, and we have created an involved world because of it.
- 150 Million users know something. As of January 2017, there are roughly 150 million users actively accessing Instagram daily. That is pretty darn impressive! And, according to Instagram internal data as of March 2017, a whopping 80% of Instagrammers follow a business. Think about the potential customers you can be reaching!
- 1 Million businesses know it too. They understand that Instagram marketing is straightforward; users are drawn to the simplicity that photos, video and short ads offer.
- Instagram users are not passive participants. Users don’t just keep scrolling when an advertiser posts content that they connect with (75% take action, like visiting a website, after viewing a post). It is an ideal format for sharing a story to increase engagement.
- Easy-peasy fishing expeditions. With many marketing plans, it can be hard to gather enough demographics to really know your audience. But one neat thing about Instagram is the chance to ask questions. This is a social platform, you know, so you don’t want to dominate the conversation! Open-ended, theoretical questions invite followers to share their thoughts…and like, tag, comment, and repost your posts.
- Hashtags! Like a search engine, hashtags help users find what they are looking for. And the cool thing is that you don’t have to be big to show up in the results. We all know that when it comes to SEO (search engine optimization), the big box stores have the upper hand. Heck, Amazon is king for individual product search. But on Instagram, all bets are off. Use hashtags wisely (and in the description of the post), and you can be a marketing boss. The sweet spot seems to be 12 or more (limit of 30 per Instagram) hashtags, so keep that in mind.
- Video is hot. With the introduction of Instagram Stories, businesses are jumping on the video bandwagon. Why? Well, video provides over twice the engagement rate of photos. That alone is a good reason!
- Explore Page. The more you comment, reply and like your followers, the better the conversation you will have with them, thus increasing your odds of having your photo featured on the Explore Page. Not really a popularity contest, this is a way to help you gain exposure and attract more of your target audience. So, use Instagram tactics like great captions, tagging, and hash tagging to engage with your followers.
- Small=Successful. Social media is the reason small businesses can compete for attention with the Big Guys. You can go to your target audience and attract them to find out about you and your company. Create a company brand, complete with consistent imaging, which consumers will start to associate with you. Great photos, quirky captions, and a dedication to community (whatever you consider your community) will help you to stand out among the crowd.
- The Happiest Place on the Internet. Unlike Facebook, there is no “dislike” option on Instagram. People use this platform to look for inspiration, find heartwarming stories, learn about uplifting events, and connect with a community. The fact that they can find like-minded businesses who share the same likes and dreams with them is icing on the cake.
There are undoubtedly many more than 10 reasons to make Instagram part of your marketing strategy, but it could be the easiest place to rationalize spending your marketing dollars online. With great tutorials to help you get started and lots of room for new companies to grow, Instagram should be in your sights.
About Digital Impact Agency
Digital Impact Agency is a creative firm specializing in interactive media and inbound marketing strategies for manufacturing and technology companies, professional service firms (architectural, engineering, construction, legal and consulting), nonprofits and enterprise companies. We are a team of innovative entrepreneurs focused on creating the most strategic and effective communication channels for our clients.