In Marketing 101, we learned to determine who our target audience is and create ads that speak to them. We found out what Sally Sue does for dinner when she’s rushing between soccer and dance practices. We studied what magazines she read. We found out what she did for fun during the little spare time she had. In a nutshell, we knew Sally Sue in and out, and that’s how we knew what messaging to take with our ads.
The same principle rings true when it comes to your content marketing strategy. Great content marketing is relative to your audience. We like to write content for our caliber of clients. You won’t see too many “How to Create a Facebook Page” posts from us. We know our audience is well beyond the basics, and we don’t spend time insulting you on what you already know.
In order to see a significant increase in your sales, there are a few steps to mastering buyer persona creation for targeted content marketing.
1. Define your buying stages along the sales funnel
When your customers interact with your business, what are the common stages you see? Use the sales funnel as a model to segment your audience.
Top of the Sales Funnel
- It’s their first time visiting your website
- They’re more interested in general information
- You are on a list with similar companies as they compare and decide who they want to do business with
Middle of the Funnel
- Are the coming back to your website for more?
- Do they want more information but not quite ready to speak to a sales representative
Bottom of the Funnel
- Are they ready to try your product or service
- Are they interested in taking the next step and communicating with your sales team
2. Define your buyer personas
Use the tools you have to further identify your leads and what makes them tick. If you have a CRM or other sales software, tap into your data. Your sales team may also have sound insight from their experiences with your customers. Understanding more about your audience as they navigate through the sales funnel is crucial to creating buyer personas.
3. Create your buyer personas
The best way to map out who your buyer personas are is the create a profile for them. Collect relevant information such as:
- What is their responsibility in the company?
- What pressures do they feel?
- What are their pain points?
- What would keep them from doing business with you?
4. Map out your workflows
Your workflows are the blueprint to your content marketing strategy. If Buyer Persona A is in the top of the sales funnel, then he/she interacts with Content X,Y and Z. This essential step ensures that the right type of content goes to the right buyer persona. Without a sound strategy to reach your buyer personas, your content marketing efforts may miss the mark, even if you did steps 1-3.
Targeted Content Marketing for Increased Sales
When you go back to the Marketing 101 model, it’s not such a stretch to understand how targeted content marketing will increase sales. Putting forth the effort before you embark on your content marketing plan will secure profitable results.
About Digital Impact Agency
Digital Impact Agency is a creative firm specializing in interactive media and inbound marketing strategies for manufacturing and technology companies, professional service firms (architectural, engineering, construction, legal and consulting), nonprofits and enterprise companies. We are a team of innovative entrepreneurs focused on creating the most strategic and effective communication channels for our clients.